This gluten-free, dairy free cake is the new favorite at our dinner parties. I had so many requests for the recipe that I decided to post it on this blog. I used Turbinado sugar, which is minimally processed. You can substitute brown sugar in this recipe.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 10 ounces Dark chocolate (you can use semisweet if you prefer a slightly sweeter cake)
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar (I use Turbinado sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a Springform cake pan or regular cake pan. Set aside.
- Separate yolks and whites into 2 mixing bowls.
- Melt the coconut oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add chocolate and whisk until it’s fully melted and the mixture is smooth and creamy. Let it cool for a few minutes.
- Whisk egg yolks, vanilla, and chocolate until fully combined.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites, and slowly add the sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Fold half of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, add the remainder, and gently fold in.
- Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish with powdered sugar and berries (optional