This is an easy recipe for delicious Italian bread. This recipe also can be used for pizza dough.
2 cups bread flour
1 package dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a measuring cup or glass bowl pour the warm water and add the yeast. You can add the sugar and salt at this point. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill Bread flour, but you can use all-purpose flour). Pour in the activated yeast mixture and form the dough into a ball using your hands or a spatula.
- Pour olive oil into the bowl. Flip the dough in the oil several times, then cover and let it rest in the bowl for ten minutes.
- Work the dough onto a greased or lightly sprayed parchment-lined sheet pan and form your desired shape.
- Top with pizza sauce, cheese or favorite toppings (if making a pizza – I used roasted vegetables), or top with dried rosemary if making a focaccia.
- Bake for 20 minutes if you prefer a soft dough, or longer for a crisper bread.